How do I know? Because I used them as a backdrop for my latest Finished Object!
Pattern: Entrelac Socks by Eunny Jang. Pattern found in the Spring 2007 issue of Interweave Knits.
Yarn: Dale Baby Ull (less than 1 skein for the contrasting color, slightly over 1 skein for the main color)
Needles: Size 1 addi turbos
Mods: I didn’t make them knee high obviously. Instead of the written cuff, I used a K1, P1 rib for 8 rows at the top of the cuff with a sewn bindoff. I used my memorized short row pattern for the heels after the pattern instructions didn’t work out very well. Despite warnings by the designer to the contrary, I slipped the first stitch on the sides of each block that get picked up later and didn’t have a problem with the amount of give in the fabric. I also taught myself how to knit backwards to eliminate the need for constant turning.
Whew! I made it! There were points during this pattern where I really didn’t think I was going to make a *pair* of socks, but I managed. This was my first attempt at Entrelac and while I’m very glad I learned the technique, I can’t say I’m as in love with it as other people I know. It’s interesting, and I like the effect, but I don’t think I’ll be doing it again right away. I definitely saw a lot of improvement in my technique between the first and second sock. I was more confident about how to carry the color that wasn’t being used up a block to put it in the right place in the next round the second time through the pattern. I think my pattern stitches were neater too. I also understood the cast on for the toe much better the second time through, and I may just try using it again for a different pair of socks down the line. I think that was the one thing I really like the best about the pattern, the toe.
As I said above, the directions for the short row heel as written in the pattern were confusing for me and it seemed to work out better when I did the short row pattern I already knew. It was easy enough to throw it in without doing any major calculations.
I still can’t quite get over the Entrelac being part of the sole of the sock. I suppose it would have taken a major amount of work to figure out how to do it without that being the case, so I understand why it’s there. I’m just still not totally convinced that this is going to be comfortable for me. I’ve been wearing these around the house a bit and I do feel the extra lumpyness, but it isn’t bothersome. I’m not sure that this will remain the case when I put them in shoes though.
Overall, I’m happy with how they turned out, but I’m glad to be moving on to other things. Like getting some more socks off the needles!