Ok. Not really. The only place I’m going today is upstate NY to visit the folks for the weekend (and to meet the new doggy!). But you could say I’ll be Knitting on the Road (well… ok… technically *rail*) with Nancy Bush. Previously I told you how I had started this pattern but it was a bit small.
I’m not familiar with the yarn the pattern calls for, but since it is supposed to be knit on size 3 needles and I’m using size 1s, this result wasn’t entirely surprising. The pattern does have a good deal of stretch though, so I thought I might be able to get away with it. No such luck.
The ribbing area seemed ok though so I pulled everything back to the row after the nupps. In this case the nupp stitches are actually little wraps around two stitches that make an interesting beginning to the cabled parts.
Since there are three cabled areas on each side of the sock separated by a couple of purl stitches, it was very simple to purl one of those stitches in the front and back on the next row to increase my stitch count. I ended up doing that in each area of purl stitches. Doing the increase as a purl in the front and back makes the increase nearly invisible when surrounded by the purls of the stitch pattern.
This was a perfect solution for me and the resulting stitch count fits just fine. If you ever need to modify a pattern like this, look at the sequence of stitches and see if you can add or subtract stitches in areas between pattern repeats. If you choose the right type of increase, it may not even be all that visible. It’s an easy solution to a fit problem so you can continue with a great pattern.
At this point the first sock is done and just waiting for a mate. But I’ve got a few more things on the needles at the moment which I’ll be showing you soon.
If you are in the US have a great holiday weekend! And if you aren’t, have a great weekend anyway!